Going through pile after dusty pile in my old room to decide what to keep, trash or recycle was quite the undertaking, but it was a remarkable, visceral experience. I came across so many old notes and letters and pictures, many I had nearly forgotten all about (or maybe tried to). Some of the items and memories evoked were bittersweet, but most were simply sweet. It took me on a journey through my very full life, by way of the momentos left behind. Mostly, I was reminded of how loved I have been. Among the hidden gems was this yellowed composition from second grade - dated exactly nineteen years ago yesterday:
I mean, seriously!? How cute, but kind of sad, was I!? Dan erupted into laughter when I showed this to him then turned to me with a hug and said "Wow, you were really just like you". Anxious about things, even at age 7 - how prescient. I'm going to assume, though I really don't remember, that this stemmed from some sort of prompt to write about about fears or things that made us sad and that it wasn't merely the spontaneous utterance of a stress-ball second grader - but that's certainly possible, knowing me.But at least I had my priorities, if not my spelling, straight: dievorse, loosing friends and dyeing pets are indeed very howribill.

2 comments:
I would like to comment on your composition. Your handwriting is beautiful. Your spelling was better when you were 7 than 27 ten year olds I know. Your ability to be so introspective at such a young age is interesting. I bet most of the kids in your class wrote about how they're scared of spiders and snakes and the dark. I found my yearbook today. That was a blast from the past. I'm again, so glad we've reconnected!
Thanks, Julie! Coming from an elementary teacher, that's awesome :)
Post a Comment