But the thing is: I have become just complacent enough in the last 18 months or so that I have slowly put on about 7 to 10 lbs. You may recall that last May I posted about going on a diet - and I did, faithfully, for over a month, and lost 0 pounds. After making a sincere effort and getting nowhere I decided then that it wasn't worth the misery for nothing and went back to my normal "watching what I eat and exercising moderately" way of life. Which is fine, and totally healthy - I am not overweight, but I occasionally need to indulge in a scoop of vanity mixed with a dollop of self-control.
Because, if I'm being honest with myself, I know I can do better. It seems like if I start becoming complacent now, at age 26, as my jeans fit tighter and tighter, it sets up a dangerous trajectory going forward. So right now I'd like to, realistically, take off even just 5lbs (maybe 7 lbs, if the ball gets rolling), if only to prove to myself that I'm capable of doing it and to keep myself in check. I know that one day, whenever I have a baby, its going to be an even bigger struggle and I'd like to get in better habits now so that its easier then (whenever "then" ends up being ...). That, and I am going to be a bridesmaid in May and I'd like to look really hot in my dress (there, how's that for honesty?).
So here's what I'm doing, if anyone is curious - because I know lots of other people out there go through the same thing:
- Downloaded the Lose It! application to my iPhone to track my calories and exercise; so far, its been great. The only times I have ever been successful at weight loss (and I have been in the past) was when I was writing everything I ate down to stay accountable. Last year, I used the Daily Plate online, which I really liked, but I don't sit in front of my computer as much any more (which is good, but unemployment is not) so its perfect to have something similar right on my phone. [Aside: the iPhone is the most amazing device ever, its hard to believe I lived without it .... which is scary and I hate that I'm so attached to a material thing. Oh well.]
- Next, I am increasing the intensity of my daily elliptical work outs - both in length and in resistance. Going to try and do 45 mins (instead of my usual 30 mins) 6 days a week (instead of my usual 4 or 5) and do my intense intervals, rather than just coasting along the whole time.
- The weather is improving (FINALLY!) and so I should be able to get out for a real, long walk (an hour plus) nearly each day with Flutie. The vet told us last month that Flutie's put on a few pounds in just a few months, which isn't good for a dog his size - she said its very common for dogs to gain weight in the winter months because they're not getting out as often (this is true for people too) and to get him moving as much as possible once the weather improves. So nice, long walks on the beach (just three blocks from our house, how lucky am I?) every day will do us both a lot of good.
- Also on the exercise front, I found out there are free work out videos available on our Comcast On Demand subscription. I was even more psyched to find out that they have Jillian Micheals' 30 Day Shred videos available - for free! I have been a hopeless addict of The Biggest Loser for the past couple of years; Dan does not understand my obsession and kind of rolls his eyes at me, but I find it so inspiring. I mean, if those contestants can lose all that weight, I can't make any excuses about losing a measly 5 to 7lbs! They lose that in one week! Plus, I love the trainers (Bob and Jillian, for the uniniated) and have always wished I could work out with them - now I can (on TV) for free! I did the first episode of Jillian's yesterday, whoo, am I ever sore today! It is JUST what I needed to incorporate more strength training into my usual cardio. I'm really hopeful that I can stick with it, even though I feel like such a dork working out to a video by myself (eh, no one's watching).
- And lastly, and this is the toughest, I need to cut back on the drinking. Not that I am a total lush, but just eliminating a few glasses of wine or a beer or two a week (not going totally dry, that's crazy talk) will really make a big difference I think. I hope. We'll see. The three martinis I had on Friday night at Radius, um, uuhhh, didn't count - right? But it was Friday. Yep, this one is the toughest ...

1 comment:
So glad to see all these new posts! I hear you about the weight loss, and even more about The Biggest Loser. Adam and I are running a marathon in October (his first!), and we're both trying to shed some pounds so we don't die on the road. Some people want to qualify for Boston, we just want to avoid death.
Post a Comment