March 10, 2009

Stop the Madness

I'm ready to admit that I have a problem. That's the first step towards reconciliation, right?

I need to put. the. butter. down. Last night, I made cookies: chocolate chip coconut cookies, to be exact. I'm not even a very big coconut fan, but they were inspired. Due to nothing more than the presence of half a bag of shredded coconut (leftover from making these) and about two handfuls of mini chocolate chips (leftover from making mint-chip ice cream last month) sitting around on my baking shelf.

As you may have noticed by now, I bake when I'm bored: I'm a boredom baker. Today it was snowing (again, some more, apparently forever), Dan is gone to Houston for three days (because my husband is a deposition-taking rock star) and even Flutie wasn't keeping me occupied because he's got a stomach bug (I'll let you use your imagination) and is morosely lethargic. Left to my own devices, with hours of cooped-up time on my hands, I end up scanning the cupboards, fridge and pantry to see what kind of concoctions I can whip up with what is on hand.

The lesson: keep nothing on hand! Too bad I'm a big believer in a well-stocked pantry. It makes me feel safe and slightly warm inside knowing that I have enough ingredients at the ready to throw a last-minute dinner party for six. Seriously, try me! Except that nobody ever does, so then I wind up with too much butter and brown sugar and chocolate lying around and I make three dozen cookies ... for one.

Dan is gone so I can't pawn my wares onto his co-workers. What am I going to do? Maybe I'll turn into the Cookie Fairy and leave them on some unsuspecting person's doorstep. Dang, how creepy would that be? To find a plate of cookies at your door from a stranger? Yeah, uhh, totally creepy - never mind.

Well then, more cookies for me. And more elliptical time to follow. If I've got time for needless baking, I sure as heck better make time for much needed exercise. In fact, I'm pretty sure its one of the 12 steps of recovery for Bakeaholics Anonymous.

5 comments:

hootenannie said...

You are my baking idol. Seriously - you come up with SUCH GREAT THINGS!!!

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

I am not a baker!!! BUT when I am out there you should teach me;)!

krista said...

I sure wish I was one of your neighbors. I would trudge through the snow to get some of your baking goodness :)

Laura said...

I wish I could take those off your hands. Also, I wish I could visit and keep you company while your hubby is gone! I think after 15 years, it's time for a reunion.

Chloe said...

Um. Excuse me. I saw you TONIGHT and you didn't tell me that you had these delicious morsels. You could have brought me one in your purse...

Having you for a friend is like having a fairy who magically bakes the most delicious things. Every time I turn around, there they are. You started with homemade pizza in high school, and now it's cookies of every kind, spiced walnuts, homemade cheese fondue, and my favorite - HOMEMADE ICE CREAM.

I love you Christina Benson Ward. Even though you are sure to make me plump someday. :)