Folks out here love to razz me about being from California. What with the plagues and the pestilence and the Governator and the celebrity "justice" and the Bush-stomping and the cultural tide of this region being what it is, the chipper blonde So Cal liberal (at least, relatively) makes a pretty easy target. Then the words "law student" and "Boston" inevitably come up, usually soon followed by others like "pinko" and "commie".
So at this point, after my rudimentary attempts to substitute "Muslims" for "damned foreigners" in local vernacular proved illusory, I’ve decided its just easier and a lot more fun to play into common [mis]perceptions. Wacky hijinks are a lot easier to get away with when they're already planning to roll their eyes and explain, "She's from California..." as an aside [with the same muted horror reserved for expositions like, "She's got the the clap"].
Now I can launch straight-faced into a ten-minute exegesis about how the recent former-interim-San Diego mayor is a great American fighting for our right to touch the boobies, and arouse zero suspicion that I’m being even a smidgen facetious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment