April 23, 2009

Marathon Visitors

Another week gone by without a blog - but this time its because I was actually too busy to sit down and write anything. I know, when does that happen? Almost never, for me. Lately.

You see, there was company in town. Staying at my house! It was so exciting. You may recall that I have, on numerous occasions, proclaimed that anyone I know (even a little bit) is welcome to come stay at my place and see Boston. Hostessing is one of my favorite activities, especially when I get to squire newcomers around my fair city. I just love showing off my adopted home, it helps when the weather cooperates - which it mostly did this time around.

And these weren't just any house guest! The guest of honor was a bonafide, Boston Marathon-running bad-ass blogger extraordinaire - Miss Bobbi, herself. She arrived on Saturday night along with her husband, mother and step-father to run the Boston Marathon - on her birthday, no less! She qualified back in October after running the St. George Marathon in Utah in under 3:40. Indeed, she is awesome.

Bobbi and I went to high school together in Redlands and had a mutual close friend but were more of acquaintances throughout our time at REVHS. In college, we attended the same church group and were in the same ladies small group for a year or two - that is where we really got to know one another. Then life took its course, she moved to Memphis to finish school (that's where she met her husband) and I moved to Boston for law school (that's where I met my husband) and we lost touch. Until, as it goes these days, Facebook came along.

Also, Bobbi is something of running/fitness/nutrition blogger phenom. She sometimes posts two or three times a day; all about her work outs, tips and food and running gear reviews. A few people here in Boston at the race actually came up to her because they recognized her from her blog - that's how you know you've made it on the internet, friends. Just ask Annie.

She and her family were such a joy and really took to the city and its arcane transportation system like fish to water. In the course of three very full days, we saw the whole city and some of Cambridge. They went to Fenway, took a duck tour and I think we all ate more pizza than we ever thought possible. Which, if you know me, is going out on a limb.

Here's a post-race photo of Bobbi getting a congratulatory/birthday hug from her husband, Matt:
Sorry, Bobbi, your eyes are closed and its a grainy iPhone picture,
but if I just ran 26 miles, I wouldn't be able to keep my eyes open either! :)

Every year during the marathon, I always think "maybe one day I'll run it!". But not this year. This year I watched all the runners in complete amazement and thought "good for them, because Lord knows I'm never running a dang marathon!". Dan is still out to try; he will do it one day and I'll be his biggest cheerleader every step of the way. And I will be so glad it isn't me.

Also, while we're on the subject of running, to my favorite Annie: I know you're running the half-marathon in Nashville this weekend and I stand truly in awe and am so proud of you. I know that neither of us are, um, how shall I say it, "natural born runners"- but you're really doing it and have put in so much work, despite a lot of pain and doubts, and I am screaming your name and "gooo! gooo! you can do it!!!" all the way from Boston this weekend. You already inspire me in a 1,001 ways and this is just another one to add to the always-growing list.

The rest of this week, I am getting my house back in order and also fighting off a most unpleasant cold and sore throat. I cleaned the house top-to-bottom before Bobbi's family arrived and it has to be done all over again now that they're gone. On the bright side, it means I get to enjoy a super clean house nearly twice in the same week and its totally worth it for fun guests. Dan doesn't have to travel this week for work (huzzah!) and we're going to enjoy a pretty low-key weekend, I think. Maybe go out with a few friends on Saturday night for my birthday (which isn't until Tuesday, but that's not the funnest day), nothing too crazy.

And, yes, I did watch Twilight last Thursday night. Just me, some yellow curry and a glass of syrah. I'll be posting my thoughts separately in the next day or so. I'll say this, for better or worse, it was certainly vampire-iffic.

It also bears repeating one more time: come to Boston! Seriously, friends, mi casa es su casa.

2 comments:

hootenannie said...

Bobbi = inspiration.

Christina, THANK YOU for cheering me on! I am seriously having stress dreams about the whole thing. Because for a "not natural-born runner," 13.1 miles is an eternity.

But I'm going to do it. Even in the midst of 80 degree weather. GAG! I CANNOT BELIEVE IT.

You are the wind beneath my wings. And the hands on my runner's booty, pushing me along. And the voice in my head, saying "GOOOOO!!!!" Thank you. :)

Boston + Annie = Happening ASAP.

KHC said...

Adam and I are running the Marine Corps Marathon this October - his first, my second. (It's not everyday I get to one-up him.) But as someone who's done it, I know *you* totally can run a marathon. Believe you me. The feeling you get after you've finished, no matter how long it's taken, just cannot be beat. If you're even at all considering it, let's talk. Seriously.