April 9, 2009

Eureka!


I found it!

The mystery cheese from Saturday night (see Monday's post)!

Behold, the Kunik:


I sauntered right up to the cheese-lady at Whole Foods (um, best job ever - are they currently taking on apprentices? Maybe I should wear a T-shirt next time that says "Will work for cheese"?) and laid it right out for her: "I'm looking for a creamy cow's and goat's milk blend, starts with a K, tastes like ice cream - ring any bells?". She, being the Fairy Cheesemother , knew what I was talking about immediately and dove into the elusive behind-glass, reserve case - the extra-fancy stuff (colloquially known as "expensive"), straight for the Kunik. The name came flooding back to my memory and I knew that was it. I asked her how much for half the round, but I left with the whole thing - so what did it matter? The Kunik had to be mine.

Cheese loving friends (Hi Annie!), I emplore you: run, do not walk, to Whole Foods and find out if they have this in your area. It's from New York so I'm not sure its carried outside the East Coast. If not, request it. Your local Whole Foods Fairy Cheesemother (or if its a dude, how about Baron of Cheese? Cheese Sensei?) is there to make your dreams come true - at least that's how my favorite bedtime story ends ....

"And then the Whole Foods Fairy Cheesemother made the obscure, cow's blend appear magically before their eyes. They ate it on toasted crostini with a glass of chilled prosecco and lived happily ever after. The End."

Here's a sneak peak at the full spread for the family Easter gathering - clockwise from the top: herbed goat cheese (from a local Massachusetts farm), mustard gouda (the wild card, never tried it), the Kunik (::drool::) and a Boursin (garlicky classic, everybody's fave):

If I make it to Sunday without sneaking any slices out of the cheese drawer, it will be an Easter miracle.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I'm inspired by your cheese recommendations. I think I'll bring some to my (extended) family's Easter feast. Yummy!

Weisman said...

Oh my gosh, my mouth is watering...

hootenannie said...

The joy. THE JOY!!!!!!!!!

hootenannie said...

Except. I went looking for it tonight, and NASHVILLE DOES NOT SELL THE KUNIK.

:(