November 6, 2008

What is wrong with this picture?

I have been slow to decorate my office at work. Last fall, it was due to superstitious paranoia. I refused to put anything indicating permanency in my office because what if I didn't pass the bar? It seemed like tempting fate, dangerously presumptuous. I passed the bar a little over a year ago (by the grace of God, hallelujah, amen). Yet little progress has been made to adorn my office with personal effects. My only excuse now is laziness. Not really an excuse, I guess, just the way it is.

Many months ago (June, I think?) some nice Crate & Barrel picture frames went on sale and I ordered a couple to be delivered to me at work. It was a step in the decorative, "office as home away from home" direction. They sat in the box until August. My brilliant idea at that point was to put them up on the wall without pictures. Empty, blank, white, staring me in the face, daring me to fill them with memories that would scream to fellow attorneys passing by, "oh, have a look at my simply maahhvelous life". Thought being that if I hung them empty it would shame me into uploading and ordering pictures for the frames, sooner rather than later.

::emptiness::


Fast forward three months to now and instead of boasting anything about my really, really super good-looking loved ones, the frames remain blank. The intimidation tactic turned out not to be such a brilliant idea idea after all. Who knew I'd be so shame-averse? The thing is, I am not. And I have been shamed. Those who have happened by my office since September have done a quick double-take at my walls. Ensuing comments ranging from "I'm really sorry that you have no friends" to "Is it modern art? I don't get it". It could be a lot worse; my office is in a remote corner of the firm where few dare tread on a regular basis so visitors and passerbys are rare. But still! It's depressing even for me.

So this is my public shaming. Might it propel me to action? I have always done just fine with Shutterfly, I don't know what my problem has been. Maybe I subconsciously don't want to bring my life into work? Maybe I can't decide on just the right collection of photos to display my individual oeuvre? Or? OR! I am just a tiny bit lazy and aesthetically challenged. Occum's Razor applies, so the simplest answer tends to be the right one.

2 comments:

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

lol...Christina your too funny.It might be because once you bring a little decor to work, it means it's a part of you:)JUST DO IT!!!

Anonymous said...

That's funny! You could always put postcards in there like from around the world or like art postcards if you just feel to weird putting normal pictures in there.