Usually, I am loathe to digress into my (potentially inflammatory) political opinions on this blog. My family is, shall we say, um, "politically diverse". Our ideologies run the gamut from right to left. Agreeing to disagree and then politely changing the subject is a family tradition.
Another reason (of many) that I shy away from political commentary, most of the time, is I often feel unable to adequately articulate my point of view, in writing, without being a) overly defensive or b) overly conciliatory. It's a delicate balance, one at which I am not particularly adept.
That said, I must post the following "special comment" delivered by MSNBC's Keith Olbermann, because, as far as I'm concerned, his words transcend the political. It's like he read my mind; Olbermann is able to express, near pitch-perfectly and better than I ever could, what I believe to be real and true about life, love and our deeply human, individual choices:
Disclaimer: I don’t watch Keith Olbermann’s show and had never heard a word out of his mouth before this. I am not vouching for him, his show or any of his other opinions nor his journalistic credentials. But his words on Prop. 8 are, for the most part, well-aimed and very important, and I will leave it at that.
All I ever knew about the guy before today was thanks to Ben Affleck’s utterly hilarious “Countdown” parody skit on SNL last week. Of course now that I’ve seen the above clip of the real thing, I can appreciate that the impersonation is even funnier because its pretty dead-on, dramatic allusions and all. It is long, but its really gets going around the three minute mark; Mrs. Precious-Perfect demands your attention and your justice. Consider this my comedic peace-offering:
Please know, I respect every citizen's right to vote as they choose. I believe in our democracy and the ability of the American people to decide, collectively, on the direction of our nation. It's one of the reasons I became a lawyer. That the (just barely) majority vote on Prop 8 happens to sadden me deeply is a by-product of the same political freedom I, too, enjoy. The same freedom that elected my choice for President exactly one week ago. I don’t just respect that freedom of choice, but I honor it and am humbled by it. Despite the passage of Prop. 8, I am proud of the progress for equality in human rights that has been made in the last decade and feel encouraged for the fight ahead. I’m also reminded not to take for granted that I live in Massachusetts and that the sky has not yet fallen.
And now for something we can ALL believe in: a live, streaming Shiba Inu puppy cam! God bless America.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment