I can't believe it is finally election day! Voted on my way to work (polling place conveniently located across the street from my bus stop) and it felt so good to cast my ballot and be done with it - after so much rancor for so long. It's going to be tough to concentrate on anything else today besides the outcome of the election. As sick of the campaigning as I am and even though I am a nervous wreck about the outcome, the geeky political science major and law student inside me is thrilled to witness the exercise of American democracy and excited to see what the day will bring. More than anything, I am encouraged and energized by the predicted unprecedented voter turn-out. Swing state or no, I really do believe that "no vote is irrelevant" and its important not to be apathetic. I must admit that the electoral college system tends to marginalize a lot voters in "unimportant" states, including myself, and it is disheartening.
Massachusetts had three interesting propositions on the ballot this year; one to eliminate the state income tax (what!? and fund our school's how!?), another to decriminalize the possession of an ounce or less of marijuana (it would become a civil offense) and a proposed ban of greyhound dog racing in the state. As an avid dog-lover, I had no trouble voting against greyhound racing and am really hoping that the proposition passes; the dogs are appallingly mistreated. The ban would cause some job loss during a time when unemployment is of particular concern, and I realize that. But having a job at the expense of denigrating and abusing animals who, by their very nature, put their trust in humans is disturbing and no decent way to make a living. Even though I wanted to keep this blog post as non-partisan as possible, I will voice my opinion on this: if you're registered in Massachusetts, please vote Yes on Prop. 3. It's not about being a Republican or Democrat, its about being a compassionate human being and a consciencious steward of God's kingdom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment