Today is my 26th birthday. I suffer from an annual birthday malaise, because I kind of hate my birthday. Especially this year – could a Monday be a more crummy day for a birthday? However, I was pleased to discover recently, upon scanning the calendar years, that my 30th birthday will fall on a Saturday in 2012. That’s some consolation, and besides, who really cares about turning 26? At this point, it’s a slow death-march to 30 anyway.
Despite my own birthday ambivalence, it didn’t stop my husband from being a prince, as usual. Yesterday (when it wasn’t a Monday – and also, my mother’s birthday), he took me out shopping for my present: new, expensive jeans - hurrah! Something I have been wanting since my staple pair of Citizens of Humanity bit the dust a few months ago, in the form of a very unlady-like crotch rip. But also something I wouldn’t feel comfortable spending the money on for no reason right now, so it felt great to go shopping for a splurgy (but necessary-feeling) luxury on my birthday.
Last night we went to dinner at Hamersley’s Bistro, one of the more celebrated Boston restaurants that I hadn’t been to yet. It was a good birthday dinner overall, but in all honesty it didn’t quite live up to the hype. It was sort of nothing special after all the raves I’d heard. The service was extremely lackluster, the ambiance wasn’t quite my style and the menu was serviceable but nothing spectacular – and certainly no value. A restaurant can be expensive but still a great value (i.e. worth the money), if the creativity, attention to detail and quality are present. At Hamersley’s the prices were a bit high for what was very basic, good but not-earth-shattering food. I’m sorry, but a plate of mixed greens tossed in a little olive oil with a ¼ oz of goat cheese for $14? I am perfectly willing to plunk down some serious coinage on a great meal, but, um, no. I felt swindled with every bite of that salad. High marks go to the baked chocolate mouse with blood orange sorbet and the deliciously simple chicken in a garlic-lemon gravy. Low marks to the unwarranted prices, inattentive service and warmed-over white wine. If you’re looking for a spectacular “special occasion” meal in Boston, I would recommend No. 9 Park (for all you high rollers) or Grotto (for an outstanding meal that won’t require a second mortgage).
When I was 25 …
- I graduated from law school.
- I took (and passed) the Massachusetts bar exam.
- I moved into an apartment in Beacon Hill.
- I became a corporate attorney at a mid-sized law firm.
- I got married.
- I adopted a Puggle named Flutie.
- I bought a condo and moved to South Boston.
- I went to New York City, Seattle, California, Tennessee, Virginia, Vermont, Maine, New Jersey and Mexico.
Now that I’m 26, I hope that I will …
- be the best wife I can be.
- build closer friendships and be a better friend.
- see my niece more often.
- live in harmony with a house-broken puppy.
- develop my own sense of style and decorate my new home to feel just right.
- travel to a few new places and my favorite old ones.
- become a more knowledgeable and valued lawyer.
- exercise regularly, eat to live (not the other way around) and maintain a “happy weight”.
- want for less and give more.

1 comment:
Happy Birthday! Hope you get everything you wish for.
~Bunny
Post a Comment