June 12, 2008

Bibbity-BOBbity-Boo

I've been in a major hair-rut for a long time. At the risk of sounding Samson-like, my hair is usually a source of pride; it is the only aspect of my appearance on which I routinely receive compliments. I never want to alter my golden locks because what if its awful and the one thing people seem to think looks nice on me goes out the window? But the up-keep such a pain in the ass, what with all the blow-drying and straightening and curling up the edges and de-frizzing. I'm always longing for a 'do that is equal parts cute and low-maintenance. The search continues.

Another search also continues: the quest for a reliable hairdresser in Boston. I'd gone to the same gal in Redlands for almost a decade, but as my trips home have become less frequent I have had to strike out in search of someone more local (more local than, say, 3,000 miles away). Last month I needed a trim and made a random lunch-time appointment at a salon near my office. The result wasn't a total disaster but something about it just felt "off". She gave me one of those "a little shorter in the back than in the front" cuts, which looks crazy-cute on some people. On me, it was more crazy, less cute.

A day or so ago I decided to try out yet another place, this one just down the street from my new house. I asked the hair-dresser to lighten up my highlights and told her to give me a cut that would even out the length all the way around - take off as much as necessary, but no more. Turns out my hair had been really uneven.

The result: the shortest hair-cut of my entire life.

Behold, the bob!




It's still blond, straight and side-parted - but, at least, I've broken out of the rut in part with the new shortness. Dan, to put it mildly, isn't thrilled. He loves my hair long and fears that this new coif is just one step closer to the dreaded "Mom 'do". I told him to simmer down and get over himself (said with a lot of love, of course). He always insists on trimming his hair a bit shorter than I'd prefer, so I guess we're both the masters of our own domes.

Even though I didn't intend to cut it this short, I can't say I hate it. It's kind of a fun change of pace and perfect for summer. However, while I'll have to give it some time to settle in, my gut reaction is that this shortness isn't quite "me". I think from this cut forward I will begin the process of growing it back out. Yesterday at work, my assistant told me it makes me look "so much younger", which isn't exactly the look I'm going for as I am already the youngest attorney at the firm by years. Ten minutes later another associate told me the hair-cut makes me look "so much older". Go figure. I'll just split the difference and hope I look exactly the age I am.

1 comment:

hootenannie said...

I think it's fabulous, NOT mom-ish, and you still look like you. Now get out there and toss it!

swish-swish-swish when you walk!