February 8, 2008

Conflicted

There’s a reason I haven’t been blogging. Well, a few reasons.

Firstly, my dearest husband is internet-paranoid and thinks blogging is inherently dangerous to privacy, job security and might attract bears. If it makes him uncomfortable, its something to take into consideration.

Secondly, posting things I write online for all the world to see (um, not that all the world is reading or anything) makes me incredibly self-conscious. That much is obvious. Is it an act of pride or self-importance to think that anything I have to say is of interest or worthwhile? I read a lot of other blogs; really, really good ones – that are pithy and poignant and relatable and that people actually read. My biggest fear is that this space becomes the absolute worst of the blogger stereotypes: writing about how I ate toast for breakfast, picked my nose, then went to work, and, hey internet, isn’t that awesome?! What if I am exposed to the world as someone with nothing to say or add? Writing isn’t exactly my talent and I am no great philosopher. My life is quiet and safe and I don’t really have hobbies (unless, you count “voracious eating”).

And yet – here I am again. Many of the blogs I read regularly, and a few others I’ve stumbled upon recently, have led me to think and question and laugh out loud. There is real value in that, and in the exchange of our thoughts and lives with others. Even over the internet, with relative strangers. It’s a wonderful thing about this time in the world, if you ask me.

So maybe I’ll try and do better and write again. Maybe I won’t put so much pressure on myself to be profound and witty. Maybe I’ll just be me and let people roll their eyes at their leisure. Yep, I can live with that.

And to my husband: I promise not to broadcast our home address and, if you’re really nice and unload the dishwasher later, maybe I won’t print your social security number.

2 comments:

hootenannie said...

YOU'RE BACK!!!!! Oh, how I've MISSED thee, my favorite blogger. I don't know that I've ever told you that, but it's true: you're my favorite blogger. I mean, besides Dooce. But she doesn't count because she's in this weird, other, anti-Mormon stratosphere. Not that you're pro-Mormon, but you know what I mean.

I think that writing IS your gift, or at least one of your many. You are truly, truly an excellent writer, Christina. You are witty and sharp and self-deprecating - but only in the best of ways. :)

I miss you. Can you tell? I can't quite wrap up this comment.

Christina's husband, can Christina PLEASE blog, just a little bit? See, I'm not even using your real name, so you don't need to get worried! I bet that if she blogs, you can still be a judge someday.

Again, I'm glad to see you back in action, if only for one post every now and then. A tiny bit of Christina blogdom is better than none at all. :)

xox

Anonymous said...

Hi there. First time here.

I understand how your husband feels I suppose. My wife happens to be a very open blogger. We're both on http://i.ph and I like the fact that I can select which posts can be seen by which people. I can even give access to people who don't have i.ph accounts. So while I do occasionally worry about what my wife writes on her blog, I feel better knowing that she can select her audience. Check it out. Your husband might like it. Good day! Blog on!