Everyone has an opinion about Valentine’s Day. It just so happens that everyone’s opinion seems to be negative. Based on my own informal poll, everyone I know unilaterally professes disdain for the “Hallmark holiday”. So can someone please explain to me how, despite all the apathy and rancor, Valentine’s Day still manages a stranglehold on the national economy every February 14th? It defies common sense.
I am certainly no fan. And not stemming only from past single heartache. My worst Valentine’s ever, I had a boyfriend. My best one, I actually managed to forget what day it was. It wasn’t until sometime on the 15th that it dawned on me that I was supposed to spend the day prior filled with self-doubt and staring down an empty wine bottle. Oops, I guess there’s always next year.
My motto over the years has become: if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. If the day can’t be wished away with my fingers in my ear and a loud “lalalalaicanthearyoulalalala”, then the day should at least be as palatably passed by as possible. Dinner with friends, flowers to my mom, candy to my niece, donations to combat violence against women, a new exercise class at the gym, the occasional drunk text to an ex-boyfriend … um, that last one is why I advocate drinking in moderation, on this day in particular. If it’s really a day about love, then it’s really a day to step outside yourself and love others. And also, and perhaps especially, to love yourself and not because a hot date with a dozen roses is (or isn’t) at your front door.
This year, I’m a newlywed. And it doesn’t make a lick of difference. I decided that my act of rebellion would be to buck the female-focused norm of the day and organize a group “man date” with some of our friends: barbecue, beer and live music. I love all those things. I love friends. I love delicious smoked meats. I love any excuse to have fun and stay out late on a work-night. I love my husband. He knows no quicker path to my heart than a rousing display of leg-guitar. That’s true romance, friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I have to admit I'm one of those people in the minority on this one. I enjoy Valentine's Day. But in my family we all give each other a small present, so it's never been a super romantic holiday to me. And my best V-day's have been the ones recently spent with my girlfriends. I have yet to have had a good romantic V-day. I agree, spread the love. My close friends all got gifts this year too. So, it's not all depressed drunkeness out there.
Well said my friend. . .you almost took the words out of my mouth but I don't think I could have said as perfectly as you did. It made me giggle and miss your wit!!
CHEERS to smoke meat!! I am going to school and going home to have a phone date with my boyfriend. It shall consist of us making jokes back and forth trying to out do each other on silly valentines day gift ideas.
I miss you. Keep writing. Your blogs entertain me while I am in class. Love you!!
"Man date" - how awesome is that??? You inspire me, my friend.
I'll be flying into KC, arriving at 6:35, and going to dinner with Graham. This will be my first V-Day with a boy, believe it or not. All past boyfriends have oh-so-suavely broken up with me about 2 weeks before Feb. 14. And then gotten engaged to other girls.
Historically, I've been one who doesn't care a lick about V-Day. But this year, I'm going to enjoy it. :)
Hooray the dust bunny has returned:) Valentine's exists in this country, but its only been around for about 15 years. We are actually going to a funeral tomorrow, can you imagine? Nick's uncle passed away last week, he was really sick so its good in a way that he isn't in pain, but I have no idea why they chose v-day for his funeral! Maybe he really hated that day and it was his last wish;) Anyhow, I think Nick is relieved, he hates v-day. I think it has its good points...and those points are called delicious conversational hearts. After making a huge fuss last year because I didn't get any, my parents have wisely sent some this year;) So, it will probably be the most depressing v-day i've ever had, but at least I can talk to people through sugary chemical hearts. Happy valentine's day! miss you!!!
love the sam xo
Post a Comment