January 2, 2009

Hello 2009!

Happy new year! I had a good time on NYE, since I ended up with plans better than anticipated (i.e. home, alone, wine, dog, asleep by 11:30pm on couch). Instead, my bestest Chloe and her close friend in town to visit from California (who I hadn't met before) came over for fondue and wine with me and Dan then we all went out to a couple of local, super low-key bars in our neighborhood. Low-key as in no lines, crowds and lacking a countdown at midnight. I think we forgot midnight even happened, too engrossed in our pool game and beers. 'Twas a fun evening had by all, even with the walk home in below-zero temperatures (only 7 or so blocks).

Yesterday, New Years Day, there was a bit of a wild goose chase for Dan's Christmas present: a Nintendo Wii. I wasn't able to find one before Christmas day (pathetic, I know) but yesterday we found a Wal-Mart far away in the middle of nowhere that claimed to them in stock, and got there in the knick of time to grab the last Wii and Wii Fit on the shelf. The rest of yesterday was spent in a Wii and Wii Fit haze. I haven't played video games since I was kid - David and I had an Atari, then a first generation Nintendo and finally a Sega Genesis before we outgrew the video game phase. The Wii is super fun and I was skeptical of Wii Fit, but its actually really neat. I'm a little bitter though since it told me my "real age" is 45! I mean, I know I'm not in the greatest shape, but c'mon! Guess it has to motivate me to use the system somehow. The Wii Fit isn't going to replace my usual cardio/elliptical work out but the yoga and strength training programs are pretty good and I love that it turns them into a game, perfect for my short exercise attention span. Now we have one more toy at home, and just another reason to be boring married people who rarely leave the house. It's going to be an especially fun activity during the winter, giving us something else to do indoors when the snow piles up and the temperatures dip below zero (like this entire week so far, ugh).

This morning I sat down with my coffee and made a list of my goals for 2009:
  • Get a new job!
    • Do not freak out about finding a new job
    • Trust God and maintain a thankful, positive attitude no matter what
  • Reach and maintain goal weight
    • About 7 to 10 pounds less than where I am at now
    • Cardio for 45 mins 5x per week
    • Use Wii Fit yoga & strength training programs for 1/2 hour 3 to 4x per week
  • Practice cake decorating skills
    • Using my new fabulous cake decorating tips and guides (a Christmas present from my parents)
  • Read more good books - go to local library regularly
  • Write real letters and cards to loved ones more often
  • Host/entertain friends and family as much as possible in our home
    • Already do this one pretty regularly, but always a goal to continue
  • Use time off from working to create and stick to a realistic, but stringent budget
  • Plan and implement organization projects at home
    • Our bedroom, den, office and guest room all need shelves, paint, accessories and furniture - strategize cost efficient decorating ideas
My brother gave me this book for Christmas, I'm going to read through it this weekend and make notes on ideas for ways I can do more to love the people around me and be more aware of the world's needs:

Tonight, Dan and I are going to see "Revolutionary Road" with our good friends, Kara and Eli. I read the Richard Yates' novel last year and have been very excited to see the movie. The book is extraordinarily bleak but beautifully written, I loved it despite the grim tone. Normally I get nervous when books I love become movies, but have a lot of faith that director Sam Mendes will turn it into a great film adaptation and I think Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio will be perfect as April and Frank Wheeler. Also, I am extra excited because Dan and I haven't been to a theater to see a movie in almost a year - not since before we got Flutie. We have a big flat-screen television and surround sound speaker system at home so its easier (and so much cheaper) to just wait for the movies we want to see to arrive on DVD or on OnDemand so we can watch them on our couch with the dog and our own snacks.

It's only been two days, but 2009 is off to a fun start so far! Now, I'm off to play some more Wii ...

1 comment:

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

LOVE THE GOALS!!!!! We want a WII, we will have to play when we come over;)