December 17, 2008

Grace and Courage

I bet most people, just like me, can visualize the person that they want to be. If only I could be the Christina of my dreams; all razor sharp wit, perfect hair and subtle curves, unending patience (ha!), timely kindness and aged discernment. Nothing resembling the slightly lumbering, scattered, quick-to-self, energy deficient version at present. No, um, nothing like that ...

But when I can't have it all, be it all, I will settle for reaching for what I need most to get as close as possible in this moment. And right now two big items are in high demand: grace and courage. Oh boy. You mean, two of the most difficult to achieve? All at once?

Tomorrow, I will need both in spades. Grace in the face of disgrace. Courage in the face of cowardice. How will I hold my head up high and remember who I am in Christ, when all they say tears me down and hurls injustice? How do I keep that upper lip stiff and stave off fear, when the road ahead isn't so much dark, as it also alight with treachery and hopelessness?

Seriously. How? Dear Lord, help.

2 comments:

hootenannie said...

By definition, it is impossible to be courageous without first being afraid. I know that there is much to be afraid of right now... but I see in you a glowing courage. Your fortitude during this hellacious time has been astounding. And I, for one, believe that your future is going to hold some surprises that you never could have planned... GOOD surprises, joyful surprises.

In the meantime, I am praying today. Grace and courage, grace and courage, amen.

I love you, and OH MAN. How I wish I was there.

Email me with more when you can... xoxo

Sam said...

Good luck Christina! I'm flying to the states tomorrow so soon we'll be on a closer time zone and we'll both be on xmas break, so hopefully we can finally talk! I'll be praying for you!