What can I say about the last three years of law school that will be anything but trite or cliché? Not much probably. Were I to synthesize the many, many ups and many, many downs beginning in August of 2004 until today (my very last day of law school, ever) they would provide an account of essentially the same ebb and flow experienced by so many others who’ve survived their early to mid-20’s intact. Everybody’s story is the same, but everybody’s story is individually felt. See? It’s cliché and trite already. This is the account, in brief, of my three years. The best and worst imaginable- but somehow, aren’t they all? So this is my story. It is boring and it is typical and it is mine.
I stepped off the airplane from
During the darket, coldest days over the last three years my mantra has been, “The only way out is through.” Now, today, I am finally, almost, through. I lost perspective so many times and forgot that being a law student was a means, not an end. Recently, I re-read a journal entry from one of the more morose times in my life, dated almost exactly two years ago:
“ …. today, I feel discouraged, sad and confused, I am small and my heart is so delicate and bruised- but I am choosing to believe its still a wonderful day, that I can accomplish something, that someday (perhaps sooner than I realize) all of this will be just a distant memory, hardly worth a grimace. One day, I believe, I will be truly happy, and not because I talk myself into it, but because I really just am. I can’t see it now and my faith is weak, but I will remain open and hopeful for good things around every corner and arise each day to deal with disappointments one by one and keep moving forward. Hope is the choice that I have to make anew, every single day.”
It’s astonishing to look back on that, and, ohh, how I wish to reach inside the page, grab hold of that heart-sick girl and let her know how really, truly more-than-okay it was all going to be. Good things were right around the corner. And here I am, at the finish line (of law school, at least), and my regrets are few compared to how much has been learned, and I would do it all again, ache by ache, to be end up where I am today.
As good as things are right now, they’re only getting better. I’m looking forward to passing the bar. I’m looking forward to starting my ‘grown up’ job at the law firm. I’m looking forward to paying off my student loans, to traveling and watching my niece grow up. I’m looking forward to marrying my very best friend. I’m looking forward to making a real home in

2 comments:
Congratulations! Three years of hard work and now you can finally reap the benefits! It feels like yesterday that I got a card in the mail with your new Boston address. I’m so excited for you!
This is beautiful, Christina. I'm proud to know you. :)
Post a Comment