March 14, 2008

The Flutie Report

It’s hard to keep a non-work blog when my job is about the only thing I have to talk about. Thank heavens for the dog. He can’t read blogs and he can’t get me fired, that I know of.

This week in Puppyville: there was a bit of a traumatic incident. We’ve enrolled in the “puppy program” with a local pet service company, wherein they come to let him out of his crate, walk him and give him a little play time 3x a day for 4 weeks, then 2x a day for two weeks. It’s Week 3 and we've had some minor issues with the service here and there. But then on Monday, my inner crazy bitch was unleashed when they just didn’t show up at all. For the entire day!

I got home around 5:30pm to find the most traumatized dog. He’s usually a little skittish and hyper when I get home and let him out of his crate for the rest of the night. But on Monday, I knew immediately something was wrong. Flutie was totally frantic and crying and when we went outside he, uh, “relieved himself” more than I thought was animally possible. No notes were left and it was pretty clear that no one had visited that day. He’d been in his crate for nine hours straight, without food or water. To his credit, he didn’t soil the crate the entire time. So at least we know he has bladder control in him somewhere.

The level of outrage I felt was completely off the charts. I so rarely “lose it” and when it happens it is not fun for anyone, especially me. When I finally got the customer service rep at the pet service company on the phone the hell that I unleashed upon him/the company had no end. I chewed him a new arm-pit and then some and demanded the manager/owner call me immediately. I was in tears and slightly hysterical – who was more traumatized, me or the dog? They started by promising to refund our money for the day … oh really? Will you now? OF COURSE YOU WILL! I don’t give two hot-damns about the money, I would have paid twice as much to have made sure my sweet little puppy was actually going to be taken care of instead of cruelly abandoned all day. What really got my ire was that no one even called to let me know, I could have come home from work to save him. They didn’t even know he’d been forgotten until I called to scream at them that night.

What a horrible day. And a horrible night that followed; poor Flutie barely slept at all. So, of course, neither did we. He had to go back in his crate to sleep (like we do every night) but after being left for so long during the day he spent the whole night in there, next to our bed, wimpering pathetically. Thanks a lot, dog services people, not only did you ruin my dog’s day but cost me and my husband a night’s sleep. Hope you’re proud of a job well done. We have to finish the 6 week program, because, honestly, there isn’t anywhere else in the city that offers the same thing (multiple visit puppy care) but as soon as its over, we are definitely taking our business elsewhere for regular dog-walking/play-groups.

Oh man, I have totally become “one of those” dog owners who takes their pet too seriously, haven’t I? Normally, I don’t think I’d be so up in arms but we pay these people to take our dog seriously and he’s just a little helpless puppy and it set our training back, possibly, weeks. Even though they couldn’t un-do what had been done, I am glad to say the folks at the company that I spoke with were as apologetic and understanding as they could possibly be.

The rest of the week has gone much better. He’s excellent with “sit” and “off” but is a disaster on walks, constantly pulling the leash and playing with it and eating bum-puke off the ground. Yeah, you heard that right. Welcome to city living! I can’t wait to move to our new place. Initially I was devastated to move out of the downtown area, but now that Flutie's come along it’s a relief. It’s really hard walking a puppy with hundreds of people and trash everywhere. He doesn’t know which way is up. If I was a puppy, I would totally eat the old Kleenex on the ground. Who can blame him? He’ll train better on walks, I hope, with a decrease in the constant barrage of stimulation going on outside our front-door. Southie here we come!

My favorite time with him is each morning. Dan gets up to walk him at 5:30 or 6am, then I let him go back to bed. Since we don’t let Flutie in our bed, I go out to the couch to lay down, and let up him up there with me. He snuggles up right under my arms and under my chin and I hold him close like a stuffed animal. And together we snooze until around 7am. It’s the sweetest thing in the whole world and its become our little morning ritual. The calm before the daily storm. These days, my life is raining puppies and I can’t seem to find an umbrella.

2 comments:

hootenannie said...

Oh my goodness, how traumatizing and ENFURIATING about the dog company! I cannot believe it. If I was you, I would fly off the handle, too. It's so sad to think about him so helpless and alone, without anyone coming to let him out... You should post the name of the company so other people won't use their services.

Dang. I'm so sorry.

But YAY - just another month until you are move-move-moving! Think about the freedom you'll feel when you can put little Flutie out in your backyard and not worry about having to walk him all the time. Are you going to install a doggie door?

AH 4 WEEKS FROM TODAY YOU'LL BE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Poor Flutie! What a shitty service, I would have flipped out too! Nick and I are planning on getting a dog in the next few weeks, but after reading your stories, we are thinking of getting a slightly older dog (1 or 2 years old) from the pound so it will already be trained, but at the same time puppies are so adorable and we want out own little baby. I don't know, we'll see.