May 7, 2009

"I want to touch it but I don't"

Its just a goofy TV show, but the the finale* of 'Scrubs' last night was so good; like, crying-into-my-wine, Flutie-checking-to-be-sure-I'm-okay good. Few shows on television have managed to end a long run as true to themselves. I'd even go so far as to say that no show has ever taken such a pitch-perfect bow; with the closing hallway walk, its nods to fans of all eight seasons, and a sentimental epilogue for the main characters (at least in J.D.'s fantasy ... or was it?) set to Peter Gabriel's sublime cover of Magnetic Field's "Book of Love".

I now have to watch this clip over and over again just so I can listen to the song (and, yes, weep a little bit more) because freakin' iTunes won't let me download it without buying the entire soundtrack to Shall We Dance. Um, no we shall not, iTunes.



Well done, show, well done. And thank you.

*ABC might bring 'Scrubs' back for a ninth season, but with almost none of the original cast. It will be like 'Scrubs: the Next Generation' and I won't be watching. As far as I'm concerned, the show is over and this is how I'll remember it.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I never watched Scrubs before, but now I'm hooked. I've been watching it consecutively since Isabella was born - it's my daily soap opera for times when I can't think any longer. I'm about to finish season 3. It's great! I can't believe I never watched it before. But, I'm not watching your clip here just in case - I want to wait.

ps. Although I love the cleverness of you occupation status, I think its time to change it. I hope the new job is going well! :)