July 22, 2008

Woodstock, Vermont

So, it turns out when I am crazy busy at work, the blog takes a serious hit. And its a shame, because some of my work stuff would make great blog fodder - but alas, no blogging about work. If I don't know that, I don't know anything. But let's be honest: I am a corporate attorney, none of it is really that interesting, I just convince myself it is to get through the long billable days. Moving on.

Last weekend, Dan and I took a much-needed long weekend to Vermont (including a Friday off of work, woo!). We hadn't been "away", just the two of us, since January and not at all since we acquired the Puggle of Doom. Luckily, my in-laws happily agreed to dog-sit. As grateful as I was for their willing assistance, I couldn't help but worry about all the countless misdeeds Flutie might whip up to earn himself a permanent ban from their future goodwill. We're taking a trip to Ireland in October (and, hopefully, other trips in our future) and I didn't want him to be so awful that they'd never keep him again. Good news: he behaved like a champ, usual annoyances notwithstanding. No permanent damage and my mother-in-law is nuts about him. Good work, dog!

Once we made it out of town after a few delays and bad directions, we had a fabulous time. A quiet, easy few days- exactly what I needed. We didn't have to do anything and, mostly, we didn't. Do anything. Just strolling and napping and eating, as we pleased. It was great. My experience around outside-of-Boston is still pretty limited, so I really enjoyed getting up into Vermont. New England is such a gorgeous place and I haven't taken advantage of all there is to see and do in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, etc. nearly as much as I should have in the last four years.

Woodstock is an ultra-charming, quintessential "little Vermont" town - seemingly, almost manufactured for cuteness and beauty. It was a great place to visit, although I am not sure everywhere in Vermont is so darling. It's, like, after watching Gilmore Girls for so many years I had this idea that Connecticut was all adorable, historic little towns full of sweet, quirky townsfolk. Um, have you been to CT? Stars Hollow, it ain't. Not mostly, anyway. But Woodstock was like Stars Hollow come-to-life and it was fun and exactly what I was in the mood for. Our hotel, the Woodstock Inn, was stately and grand and just a smidge on the stuffy side, but a really nice place to be, right in the town center. I even hit the gym and went for my first road-run in nearly a year. Had to combat all the local, hand-made Cheddar I ingested somehow!

Here are a few pictures from the weekend:

Handsome husband, posing against the Woodstock skyline.


At the Billings Farm & Museum, enjoying the enormous horses.


Dan, at Billings Farm.


Next to the stinky cow butts. Really? Why am I posing here?

Awww, look at the baby calves!

Sheeps and Vermont sky-line.

Hot Air Balloons - we didn't get to go in them, but they sure were neat. One day I want to go up in one!

At Simon Pierce for dinner, and did a some wedding-present shopping for friends.


Enjoying my pomegranate martini at dinner, at Simon Pierce, in Quechee, Vermont.

Now that some of my work has settled down, I hope to get back to better, more regular posting. But mostly, I want to write things here that are interesting and/or matter, so if it takes a little while, so it goes. I always have so many things swirling in my head, and such good intentions- and so little actually makes it to print.

I'd also like to give a shout-out and BIG congratulations to my dear, sweet cousin, Brittany, on her recent engagement. Ben is one lucky guy. Britt was a gorgeous bridesmaid in my wedding last October and I am already so excited for her upcoming nuptials next May. I love you, Brittany - you and Ben seem like a perfect match and I'm so happy that we have been so fortunate and blessed to meet and marry our best friends.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like a great weekend! And I must add: I love the classy black dress!

bec said...

my friend who works at the apple store recommended that same hard-drive! if you like it, that is good enough reason for me to get one too.

also, this might be really lame. but are those jersey cows? they look like jersey cows. they're like my favorite cows...